- Allen Public Library
- Find It
- Request an Interlibrary Loan
Interlibrary Loan from Allen Public Library
Before requesting any materials through Interlibrary Loan, you must have a library card and your account must be in good standing.
Things to Remember
- Requested items may come from libraries that charge loan and photocopy fees. The fees can range from $0-$20, please keep that in mind.
- Standard overdue fines apply to ILL materials.
- Patrons will be limited to five active ILL requests.
- New books are generally not available through interlibrary loan until at least 6 months after the publication date.
Please allow 4-6 weeks to fill a request. Lending libraries' due dates may be different from those of Allen Public Library. There are no renewals.
Due to high demand, interlibrary loan is available to Collin County residents only. Please note, we cannot interlibrary loan textbooks, study guides, test preparation guides, workbooks, or certification review books due to limited availability and check-out periods.
Interlibrary Loan from Allen Public Library's Catalog: User Guide
Glossary of Terms
**Sometimes an Active status will not appear; your request may go from Inactive to Held.
How to Place an Interlibrary Loan Request
1. From the Allen Public Library Catalog, select MY ACCOUNT from the menu bar. Then, select LOGIN.
2. Enter your full library card number (no spaces) and password, then click the LOG IN button.
3. Select SEARCH from the menu bar, then select the KEYWORD option.
4. Select the INTERLIBRARY LOAN - TEXAS WORLD GROUP option from the USING drop-down menu.
5. Search in the KEYWORD box for the item.
6. Find the item you want to request, then click the PLACE REQUEST button. Please notice the SOURCE is the INTERLIBRARY LOAN - TEXAS WORLD GROUP.
7. Confirm the item displayed is the item you want to request from Interlibrary Loan.
8. If Allen Public Library has the item, please place a local hold on the item.
9. The item will display in the REQUEST section of your online account. The status will remain INACTIVE for 4-6 weeks until the Lending Library reviews and ships the item request. When the item comes to Allen Public Library the status will change to HELD, you will get a notification to pick up your requested item. Please note, requested items do not always appear as ACTIVE. You may see the status change from INACTIVE to HELD.
Frequently Asked Questions
What formats are available through interlibrary loan?
- Music CD
- Audiobook / CD
- Large Print
- Sheet Music
- Periodical Article
How long will it take for a requested item to arrive?
Usually four to six weeks, but the length of time varies for each item. If you no longer need a requested item, please call 214-509-4910 and leave a message to cancel your request. Please be sure to include your account information and requested title(s).
How will I be notified?
When your request is available for pick up, you will be notified by the same method you get notified for all other holds (email, text, phone). Please login to your account or visit Allen Public Library to make certain your contact information and notification settings are correct.
Where do I pick up the materials?
Pick up your requested item(s) at Allen Public Library's Check-Out Desk.
How long can I keep the materials?
The due date is determined by the lending library. Loan periods can vary from 7-28 days. To maximize the use of the item(s) requested, check out the item(s) at your earliest opportunity. Photocopies of journal articles are usually yours to keep.
Can I renew the ILL materials I have out?
There are no renewals of lending materials. Please be prepared to turn in your items on time.
What happens if I lose or damage an item?
The lending library will request that you pay for the damage/loss and could charge a processing fee. Please note, your Allen Public Library borrowing privileges will be suspended until all fees/fines are paid.
Where do I return the materials?
Borrowed ILL materials can be returned through the outside or inside book-drops at Allen Public Library.
Please call 214-509-4910 and leave a message. Be sure to include your library account information and requested title (if available).